Sunday, September 25, 2011

Blog #3: NY Times Blog-Frugal Traveler

While I don't read the New York Times as much as I should, I was definitely intrigued to check out their entire "blog" section.

Blog topics range from business and technology to sports, science, and style. After looking through a few of the blogs (focusing mostly on fashion and culture) I found the "Frugal Traveler" written by Seth Kugel.


"Seeing the world on a budget" is the tag line for the blog, which immediately caught my eye. I love thrift shopping, traveling, and am all about finding a good deal.

Kugel, a world traveler of destinations such as Stockholm, Madrid, Lebanon, and Cyprus, gives readers tips and advice on how they too can travel unique cities and exquisite countries without emptying their wallets.


Shopping, food, local spots, what to see, and where to stay, Kugel covers it all... while still 
being extremely economical.

One of my favorite posts by Kugel is his coverage of a "$100 Weekend in Istanbul". A vacation spot that is typically super expensive, Kugel talks about how to find cheap food, experience the "free" culture, and use public transportation. He even found a cheap place to stay by using a site called Couchsurfing.org

Kugel's weekend consisted of checking out the local art scene via small, intimate galleries, tasting the best Turkish coffee, and attending a prayer service at the famed Blue Mosque.

No matter where you want to go, its almost guaranteed Seth Kugel's been there, and if not, I bet he's planning a trip for the future. With honest insight and genuinely helpful tips, "Frugal Traveler" is every globe-trotter's go-to guide. Before I ever plan an exotic trip, I'll be sure to check out this NY Times Blog beforehand.


No comments:

Post a Comment